Sunday, May 28, 2006

Roy Unleashed!

[posted by dinah]



I checked the blog yesterday was surprised to find three, count 'em, three new posts by Roy! Is he manic, I wondered? Oh, probably not...just unleashing his pent-up blogs which have been festering... I can only speculate. But this brings me to an interesting study I found, one that pertains to Roy's comments on most frequent diagnoses among psychiatric patients. A landmark 1998 study by Sille, et. al. revealed that the most common psychiatric diagnosis among bloggers is, in fact, Bipolar Disorder, accounting for 61.8% of all psychiatric diagnoses (most recent episode being a Mixed State), followed by Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, with compulsive writing being the most common symptom, followed by compulsive email checking. In a follow-up study done by Monke in 2001, it was found in a randomized, placebo-controlled, double blind study that manic bloggers were more likely to report remission of symptoms, a return to euthymia, and a decrease in compulsive blogging, when treated with a combination of Depakote, chocolate and caffeine. Interestingly enough, none of the bloggers studied responded to either Lithium or any of the novel anti-psychotic agents.

Okay, so I made it all up, but I had fun doing it!