Saturday, December 09, 2006

Random Saturday Morning Bits (with Coffee)

Khoi Vinh at Subtraction.com writes about how hard it is to keep up with all the great blogs out there.

"Emotionally, however, I feel as if severing a link to an RSS feed is tantamount to entirely giving up on a blog; with so many other potential distractions out there, the chances of me returning in a timely manner are miniscule... I need a better option. Or… can everyone just stop posting for a while until I can read everything you’ve written so far?"


Cool MicroMemo device attaches to your Nano to become pocket recording studio. Now I can podcast from anywhere (jk).

(In case you wanted to know what to get a geek-shrink for Christmas.)


Washington Post reports that the V.A. is underfunding mental health services. Are we surprised? All of health care is getting hit these days, but people with psychiatric illness tend to get hit harder.


Another Post article relating to our recent discussion about PTSD medications. The drug, guanfacine, which works in a somewhat similar manner to propranolol, has been shown to be ineffective for PTSD. Newsflash: who uses guanfacine for PTSD? I have never seen a patient on it.


Yet another teen with mental illness, stuck in limbo between the mental health and the forensic system. As in the previously mentioned case, it is extremely challenging to get these folks the help they need in the right setting.


Last chance before 2053 to see Jupiter, Mercury & Mars, all lined up in a bunch. Okay, you have to get up an hour before sunrise to catch it, low in the southeast sky. For me, that just might be worth getting up for. For Son, "it'll look just like all the other little white dots that you've dragged me out of bed to "wonder" at. Knock yourself out, Dad."


technorati tags:, , , , , , , , ,

Blogged with Flock

6 comments:

Dinah said...

My kid turns 16 today. I got him a nano, but no podcast sticky thing. I am so happy you don't live with us: I wouldn't want to be woken in the middle of the night to wonder at white dots in the sky. Sort of just nice to have a friend, a few zipcodes over, who does such things.

ClinkShrink said...

Wait, the troubled teen is charged with assault causing bodily harm, uttering threats, breaching probation and fraud. Why is jail not the right place? How would a hospital keep this teen from committing fraud? I'm confused.

But I love the nano microphone.

Happy Birthday to Max's brother.

Steve & Barb said...

I don't know what he needs, but whatever it is, no one seems to be able to find it. The judge thinks he's psychotic. Sounds like he needs jail AND treatment.

Hope Son has a great BD.

Dinah said...

Just to be clear on these things, my son, who is now 16 and the proud owner of a new nano, is not violent, threatening, or breaching probation. Nor is he psychotic. Some how we seem to be talking about two different teenage boys at once.

NeoNurseChic said...

Hmmm I practically share the same birthday as your son, Dinah! On Monday, I'll be 26. I'm supposed to be at my parents' house right now, but I'll get there eventually - my body has been on the warpath today, and I'm still in bed. Though watching the IronMan on tv did give me some inspiration to get it together. haha

Roy - I see that the next time this stellar event will occur is 2053 - I will then be around 73 years old, and hopefully I will wake my grandchildren from their sleep to see it. In the meantime, I'm sleeping in tomorrow! ;) I loved the son comment - quite funny! :)

Hugz,
Carrie :)

Sarebear said...

I meant the time pic was very "me", not the quote. Altho it's a good quote! I wish I had the life everybody else wants, lol.

Carrie, if I don't "see" you before Monday, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

8^D

my verify is rather rude - ouuarze.