Valentine's Day is soon upon us. Hearts, flowers, and chocolate abound. This got us three shrinks wondering about why chocolate holds such a high position in this whole love-related endeavor.
We talk about the psychopharmacology of chocolate, while we simultaneously try a taste of own pharmacocoatherapy.
Oh, and this is our TENTH PODCAST! (woo)
February 11, 2007:
- AJP: False positive drug tests on Effexor XR (venlafaxine) (positive for PCP, or phencyclidine).
- Chocolate and Mood [PubMed]: a look at chemicals in chocolate which affect mood, such as theobromine, caffeine, phenylethylamine (PEA), and anandamide.
- First study mentioned by Clink, on chemicals in chocolate.
- Second study, about mood modulation by food.
- Third study, about chocolate and atypical depression.
- Green M&Ms. Also, design your own M&Ms, even what is printed on them.
- Dogs: Don't eat the chocolate.
- Children of Psychiatrists (The Last Psychiatrist). Do psychiatrists have crazier children? (See Dinah's post)
- Suicide risk in physicians. A European study (Hawton 2001) found that female doctors, and not male doctors, had increased suicide risk. Furthermore, specialties at highest risk included anesthesiology, generalists, and psychiatrists. A meta-analysis (Schernhammer 2004) found that physicians in general were 1.4 (men) and 2.3 (women) times more likely to commit suicide than the general population.
- Questions for us? Email at mythreeshrinksATgmailDOTcom. We'll answer some starting with Podcast #11.
Last week's musical snippet was from 1983 release, Genetic Engineering, from the Dazzle Ships album by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD).
Find show notes with links at:
This podcast is available on iTunes (feel free to post a review). You can also listen to or download the .mp3 or the MPEG-4 file from mythreeshrinks.com. Thank you for listening.
technorati tags:psychiatry, psychiatrist, psychology, mental, health, medicine, podcast, psychiatric, chocolate, psychopharmacology, theobromine, caffeine, suicide, mood, depression, valentine, valentines
Blogged with Flock