Saturday, November 03, 2007

What Is This?


I was on the way home from prison the other day when I saw this bird lying belly down on the sidewalk. At first he was lying on the sidewalk with his wings outstretched and his tail straight up in the air like he had been crunched by a 50 pound Acme weight. After a while he stood up and started shaking his feathers out and stretching his legs. He was still sitting there when I left but it looked like he was getting ready to fly. I called wildlife control and they said hawks in the city will fly into buildings chasing pigeons. There are a lot of pigeons in the parking ramp where I work.

So why am I putting this up?

A friend of mine says it's a falcon, not a hawk. If there are any birders out there who can make an identification I'd appreciate it.