Friday, March 21, 2008

HBO In Treatment....Some Other Links....And How Sad Is It That I'm Blogging On Vacation?

Greetings from The Big Apple! Kids are still asleep, husband's getting ready to head to TKTS so we can see a show tonight.

Before I start talking about In Treatment, I have some links.

The New York Times has an article on So You Want to Be a Star Blogger. We're doing okay here at Shrink Rap, I think. We've passed the $100 mark on Google Ads (can we go to KoKo's for crabcakes, now???) and we get a couple thousand visitors per week. I'm happy. Oh, I'm on vacation, that always makes me happy.

Gerbil is having a baby soon, and still she took the time to send us This Link about In Treatment. Apparently 38 people are still watching it. I'm one of them. Best wishes for a happy, healthy baby Gerbil.
--------

So for the other 37 people still watching, the show has gotten better. I've only watched through Tuesday, and with vacation, I may be behind for a bit. It ends next week, so I imagine I'll catch up. I'm also working on John Adams, but no blogging on it, and I'm an episode behind on LOST.

At the end of their Couples' session on Friday, Paul's phone rang-- it was clearly something awful and I was worried that Sophie had committed suicide. My husband thought it was Alex. He was right. Oh, he's always right. Monday we meet at Alex's funeral. Paul talks with Alex's son Roy and offers the boy some kind words and support. He then finds Laura there (wait, who goes to a funeral of someone they've had a brief fling with??) Paul knew she'd be there, he'd called her, and he talks about his own childhood losses. Alex's father mistakes Laura for Paul's wife.

Tuesday, Alex's father shows up in Paul's office. He wants to know what drove his son, is fearful of losing connection with Alex. He's just like Alex--- challenging one moment, pleasant the next. He compares psychotherapy to prostitution then later apologizes. He implies that the psychotherapy dredged thinks up and left Alex vulnerable, so vulnerable that he died while on a training mission. A question was raised as to whether the death was a suicide. The session is intense, painful at moments, well acted. Personally, I think Alex's narcissism would have protected him from suicide, I'm voting that it was an accident. I know: it's just a show.

My best to all. Clink, Max misses you.

9 comments:

ClinkShrink said...

Give my regards to Broadway. Hey, that's catchy. We miss you. Call me when you get back and we can set up a time for Koko's. It's spring break and the Phoneless One is free.

Midwife with a Knife said...

It's not sad that you're blogging on vacation. Vacation is for things you like to do, and you clearly like to blog.

I'll probably have to give In Treatment another chance, if it got better.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to be so off-topic, but I don't see a way to send an email. I'm wondering if any of you would comment on this post:
http://allbleedingstops.blogspot.
com/2008/03/completers.html
I realize you might not want to, since it's from a fellow blogger, but I'm really curious what a psychiatrist would think about it. Speaking as someone who has had to be treated in an ER for a psych problem, I'm appalled but not at all surprised, since I was treated with contempt and anger when I was there.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

No it’s not sad – it just means we can experience your vacation vicariously. Hope you enjoy whatever show you ended up getting tickets for. BTW: the In Treatment link is a repeat of So You Want to be a Star Blogger.

NeoNurseChic said...

I still read your blog while I was on vacation! (Note hits from Sarasota, Florida - or somewhere nearby....I was on an island.) When I used to blog, I would blog while on vacation, too - it was enjoyable to me. :)

I have been quite behind on In Treatment due to the personal loss I suffered prior to going on vacation, and then being on vacation itself! I had no idea about what happened to Alex. I've got quite a lot of catching up to do, as I'm not even quite sure what week I should start with. Can't really remember what the last episode I watched was - I think I was in the middle of one of the weeks.

John Adams looks very good. Did you read that book? I haven't read it, but my mom and grandfather did, and they really liked the book. I look forward to watching the HBO series.

Anyway - have fun on your vacation!! You'll have to let us know what show you ended up seeing. I looooove going to shows on Broadway!! Ooooh have you ever seen "The Drowsy Chaperone"? I highly recommend that one - it's so funny - we all laughed through the ENTIRE thing!

I got home from vacation last night at midnight, and I'm sad to be home! My grandparents have their place up for sale as they are moving up this way to assisted living, so this may have been my last trip down there! I've been going there since I was a fetus, and that place is home to me. I have more memories tied to that place than I can count!! It was a wonderful vacation!!

Have a great time!
Take care,
Carrie :)

P.S. I read that linked post that anonymous asked you to comment on. I have many thoughts on it, but I didn't comment on it over there. I, too, would be interested to hear what a psychiatrist has to say about the ER doctor's post and subsequent comments.

Gerbil said...

Hey, that wasn't my link!

Here it is for real:
Jon Carroll's thoughts in "In Treatment"

(and OMG, I am going to burst if this baby doesn't come out soon...)

Roy said...

If you do burst, Gerbil, we can ask MWWAK to put you back together. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I am just SO SAD that HBO is not brining back another season of the best show on tv - In Treatment. There is nothing but CRAP on tv anymore and then the quality shows get the boot. It sucks. I will really miss that show - it was addictive!

Anonymous said...

I was really starting to get into In Teatment! Missed it for a few weeks due to vacation and my son's wedding and was so disappointed to see it not listed On Demand! Anyone know if there is going to be another season?