Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Session That Never Ends....


I saw a patient where the session seemed to drag. He was ready to go, but the session was little more than half over; I commented that we still had some time and I asked a few more questions. It felt like time was going slowly, really slowly. At some point, I finally realized that time had literally stopped-- the clock had not moved for some time. I glanced at my cell phone, only to realize that it was now 5 after the hour: our 50 minute session had gone on for 65 minutes. My clock battery had died, the clock had stopped, and I'm still wondering how it took me 25 minutes to figure this out. Hoping my patient didn't think I was holding him hostage.

Somehow seems appropriate for Election Day for the never-ending campaign. I am so glad it's finally over.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, it's over, but worth the wait.

Novalis said...

That's a good one. And then there are those other, more common, 50 minute sessions that do feel like 65. But we won't talk about those.

Rach said...

Ahh... and then there was my session today where I was dismissed after 25 minutes because it was mutually decided that I hadn't done my therapy homework, and I should come back next week when it was done.

No joke.

Dinah, you don't wear a watch?

Anonymous said...

That's happened to me too (the clock stopping). Trying to do therapy with a sloooow patient after a night of election-watching is also not recommended!

Dinah said...

Barbara K: agreed!
Novalis: Go for it.
Rach: I don't wear a watch. I used my cell phone.