Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Depressed and Running for Governor


Doug Duncan has a strong family history of bipolar disorder, and during his campaign to become Governor of Maryland, he became ill with Major Depression. Mr. Duncan dropped out of the race, and let the reason be known. In today's Baltimore Sun, there is an article about his symptoms and recovery. Apparently he made a good recovery with the trial of medication and therapy, and is now doing well. Could he toughed out the campaign? This is a personal decision.

So what do you think-- in our efforts to destigmatize mental illness, would Mr. Duncan's history of depression be a reason people would vote for him in the future?

My guess: I think people would not vote for a President with a history of depression ("Will he push the button in a moment of helplessness? What if she becomes depressed after a terrorist attack?") Otherwise, I think he still has an open door. Just my opinion, do chime in.

And I just bought a brand new Mac Book. I can't seem to work the copy/paste (cntrl c/cntrl v) thing for links. Oy.
Try this if my link didn't work: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.vozzella01apr01,0,1621279.column?page=1

Oh, and I can't get a graphic in or put labels on the post. ClinkShrink!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Promise not blog about In Treatment and I will help you with all that.

---Clink

pemdas said...

@clink I love how you think!

Rach said...

mazal tov on the purchase of your macbook. Embrace the mackiness... It will all be ok - or get the 15-year old to teach you... if you don't kill him first!

Novalis said...

As much as I wish it were otherwise, it is hard to foresee a time when a major Axis I disorder would not disqualify someone for the Presidency in the court of public opinion. City councilman yes. President no.

Midwife with a Knife said...

Hm... how's this... SHOULD it disqualify him?

One of the psychiatrists where I did my med school psych rotation was a former air force flight surgeon, and he thought that pilots with axis I disorders (of any kind) should be grounded, permanently. Regardless of whether they sought treatmet or not, regardless of response to treatment.

He had some pretty compelling arguments... and to be honest, while I want to disagree with him, sometimes I vacilate.

Anonymous said...

It's apple c for copy, apple v for paste. Had me stumped for a while as well.

Anonymous said...

About 10 years ago, the Norwegian prime minister at that time, Kjell Magne Bondevik, became depressed. He went on sick leave for about a month, and it was in the news all the time, obviously. In the end he actually gained support among the voters. I remember it also spurred quite a bit of debate around depression, mental health, and the ability to run a country.

Just one random link,

http://www.health24.com/mind/Depression/1284-1294,42625.asp

Anonymous said...

Winston Churchill. Black Dog. Read a history book.

Anonymous said...

Lincoln? It's widely reported that he was depressed.

Our country elected an African-American as president. His party comptition was a woman. I think our country is capable of electing anyone know. If mental illness is a considered a disqualifier after all the progress that had been made this past election, that'd make me so sad.

Anonymous said...

Mental health illness is probably the most secret, closeted thing in the United States. Somebody told me that anyone who has had a "breakdown" should not be allowed back in the classroom as a teacher. I had a "breakdown" and I am in a teaching credential program and in the classroom daily (and am totally "normal" according to my psychiatrist). I did not tell the person I was talking to that I have had a "breakdown". I keep it secret so I do not negatively affect my career. It's a vicious cycle. We can't come forward unless Americans are more accepting and they won't be more accepting unless we come forward.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Anonymous. That's why we still unfortunately remain Anonymous.

Yours sincerely,

Another Anonymous