Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Podcast 54: Tell Me! Information and Technology


Welcome to Podcast Number 54: Tell Me! Information and Technology

Here's what we talk about:

Roy talks about the Maryland Health Information Exchange (HIE) called CRISP, which stands for Chesapeake Regional Information System for our Patients. Note that your health information is accessible to participating health care providers unless you opt out. You can read more at CrispHealth.org. We ramble about the downside of sharing health information electronically. We also complain about how difficult it can be to get medical information now, so there are pros and cons.

Roy talks about career satisfaction of psychiatrists based on a survey done by Epocrates. Roy talks about the increasing job satisfaction of primary care docs -- it's going up! In psychiatry it's also going up, based on data now compared to 3 years ago. Happy shrinks are up to 83% from 70%. Roy encourages med students to join us. Dinah extols the wonders of the diversity of psychiatry. Read the article about the survey Here.

Dinah brings up the age old dilemma of how to write about clinical information in psychiatry without compromising patient confidentially. We talk about how we deal with this problem in
Shrink Rap: Three Psychiatrists Explain Their Work. Ah, but it's not just printed matter, but blogging and tweeting and podcasting.

Finally, Roy talks about healthcare providers and social media, referencing an earlier blog post on What To Do When Your Patient Friends You On Facebook.

Once again, thank you for listening and please do write a review on iTunes.



****************************


This podcast is available oniTunes or as an RSS feed orFeedburner feed. You can also listen to or download the .mp3or the MPEG-4 file from mythreeshrinks.com.
Thank you for listening



Send your questions and comments to: mythreeshrinksATgmailDOTcom


5 comments:

Sarebear said...

I found it interesting today and surprising that, at my primary care doc's office (which I was at for what I thought was something else but turns out to have been caused by an unpleasant and possibly unlivable side effect of my new med, does another med bite the dust for me? Ugh)

that they had me sign to opt IN to a new thing regarding external to them prescription information, electronic medical records related to prescriptions. It was only about prescriptions, but the three options on the form were: I am opting in, so my physician can see all my medications and be better informed about my care and possible medicine interactions (or something that said something like that), I am opting OUT of this (and then some explanation to go with that one), and thirdly I am opting OUT from previously having opted IN, to this thingiemajig (technical term jk!)

What I found surprising was that it wasn't worded that we were automatically opted in, but that we were choosing either way up front, with the option to later opt out also presented to us, but then again privacy laws around here may require it to have been this way, I'm not sure.

moviedoc said...

When you write about a patient publicly I maintain that the most critical tip off for the patient is the name of the psychiatrist. To me this means Shrinkrappers and I are doing the right thing by remaining anonymous. Although it is possible for patients to know their doc is Moviedoc I suspect the numbers are small.

You glossed over what I believe is the key issue: Can you ask your patient's permission ETHICALLY. (Yes, this is an ethics issue, and APA has addressed it.) A psychiatrist asks the patient, "Is it OK if I write about your case for the NYTimes?" I don't believe that's fair to the patient, and I don't believe the patient can FREELY consent. More likely they will think, "What if I say no. Will she hold it against me?" I have never felt OK about asking a patient's permission to publish their case.

And what goes in a list-serve vs the NYTimes? No comparison.

tracy said...

Now to find one of those satisfied Psychiatrist's...in the Richmond, VA area. Help, someone, anyone?! :*(

health quotes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think if people tell their concens, about their personal data, to his/her, some psychiatrist, they would write some thing down.
A symptom? Paranoid maybe?