- If you don't want to propagate more mass murders...
- Don't start the story with sirens blaring.
- Don't have photographs of the killer.
- Don't make this 24/7 coverage.
- Do everything you can not to make the body count the lead story.
- Not to make the killer some kind of anti-hero.
- Do localise this story to the affected community and as boring as possible in every other market.
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Park Dietz on how NOT to cover a mass murder
I ran into this 2009 piece on New Statesman by Helen Lewis that links to footage of forensic psychiatrist, Park Dietz, describing best practices for how news media should NOT cover a mass murder.