Sometimes, I like to bother pharmacists. They are the nicest people, and very patient about looking up medication costs for me. Once, I wrote a post called The Co$t of Being Depressed, where I compared the cost of anti-depressants. Today, I'm writing over on our Clinical Psychiatry News website about The Surprisingly High Cost of Abilify.
Here's the short form, but do surf over there for details:
I called three pharmacies and compared prices on Abilify.
Please remember, this data is for three pharmacies only
- A single 2 mg tablet cost between $30 and $33 dollars. More don't cost appreciably less per pill so a 90 day supply ran $2700 at a local independent pharmacy to $2724.81 at Wal-mart. If you do the math, you'll realized that at Wal-mart there was some discount for bulk : the pill price for 90 tablets is about 30 cents/pill less than for 90 pills.
- A single 30mg tablet runs $38-$47.
- A 2mg tablet costs the same as a 15mg tablet --which is the same as a 5mg and 10mg tablet
- A 20mg tablet costs the same as a 30mg tablet.
- It costs a whole lot less if you split the pills.
- This stuff is expensive.