Thursday, May 14, 2015

Per Twitter: Dear Dr. Lieberman and others.....


 Oh my. So over on my Twitter account, I tweeted a tweet that has now been favorited, retweeted, mentioned, ?distorted, and tagged such that I've received over 30 notifications on all sorts of stuff I'd rather have nothing to do with. 

So let me start the story at the beginning.  Earlier in May, the New York Times ran a column called This is My Brain on PMS.   It was a first person account of someone's mental anguish and emotional instability during the premenstrual time.  

Jeffrey Lieberman is a former APA president, the chairman of psychiatry at Columbia, and author of a new book on the history of psychiatry called "Shrinks."   Dr. Lieberman has previously tweeted sentiments that indicate that he wishes the NY Times would publish more science-oriented psychiatry articles and devote less precious space to these "opinionator" pieces or to anything with a sentiment that is critical of psychiatry, although I understand his book is rather critical of psychoanalytic practice.   It's hard to know what is in someone's heart in 140 characters, and Dr. Lieberman posted the following tweet:

I guess the introspections repeatedly published by do provide 1st person accts of disorders



Why is a patient's narrative of their difficulties 'narcissism'? . Perhaps public accounts are destigmatizing.







4 comments:

Sideways Shrink said...

I love you Dinah! You are so spontaneous and do not suffer from the "delayed response disorder" that so many shrinks do.
Shrinks who are well trained but have the ability to respond with emotion that is authentic need to speak about this experience. A lot of our training is to not do this.
You continue to inspire me.

Sideways Shrink said...

I love you Dinah! You are so spontaneous and do not suffer from the "delayed response disorder" that so many shrinks do.
Shrinks who are well trained but have the ability to respond with emotion that is authentic need to speak about this experience. A lot of our training is to not do this.
You continue to inspire me.

Jen said...

Welcome to New York Presbyterian-Columbia University Medical Center. Rated #2 in psychiatry in the country.

Unknown said...

I guess I didn't see Jen's post before--but I have to say that I trained at Columbia Presbyterian and I totally agree. They do psychoanalytic training there and so any variance of human experience is not going to be welcomed as a normal human variance. Psychodynamic therapy is very pertinent to treatment today. But the old school Lieberman model is questionable.